Primer on Healthcare Epidemiology, Infection Control & Antimicrobial Stewardship
The Online Primer is being reviewed and updated. This course will re-launch in Spring 2019.
This online educational course offers any Infectious Diseases practitioner an opportunity to learn the basics of healthcare epidemiology, infection control and antimicrobial stewardship. Written by adult and pediatric experts in the field, case-based information is presented in a dynamic and interactive learning environment intended to highlight the role of the healthcare epidemiologist. Topics covered include pathogen transmission, outbreak management in the healthcare setting, approach to control of bioterrorism agents, advanced occupational health management, implementing antimicrobial stewardship and the prevention and management of multidrug resistant organisms including Clostridium difficile, surgical site infections and device-associated infections.
This course was developed for the Infectious Diseases Fellow, but could be useful for other physicians or healthcare practitioners interested in increasing and solidifying their understanding of healthcare epidemiology, infection control and antimicrobial stewardship.
At the end of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the role of the healthcare epidemiologist.
- Analyze when to involve the healthcare epidemiologist and infection control experts - specifically during outbreaks, bioterrorism threats and advanced topics in occupational health management.
- Discuss how to implement principles of antimicrobial stewardship.
- Define the epidemiology, surveillance and prevention of healthcare-associated infections including multidrug resistant organisms including Clostridium difficile, surgical site infections and device-associated infections.
- 4.00 ABIM MOCSuccessful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to [course-credit:abim_moc:max] MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC point’s equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
- 4.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Online Primer access: http://www.fellowscourse.shea-online.org/Default.aspx
Everyone will recieve a certificate upon completion of this course. CME and MOC credits are available for Physicians only. In order to receive Physician credit, participants must successfully complete both the post-test with a passing score of 70% or higher and the online evaluation. You will have unlimited opportunities to take the post-test.
*If you have not yet registered for the Online Primer, be sure to hit Purchase twice in order to enter your credentials as a new registrant.
- Physician Member: $349
- Physician Non-Member: $399
- Fellows/Allied Professionals Member: $149
- Fellows/Allied Professionals Non-Member: $199